OCTAVIA E. BUTLER ESSAY COMPETITION
FREQUENTLY ASKED CONTEST QUESTIONS
Octavia E. Butler Essay Competition is open, and here are a few FAQs you might have:
- How much does it cost to enter the contest?
- Do you accept entries from outside the US?
No, only US residents can enter
- Where do I find the rules for the contest?
On this page, above FAQ.
- Is it okay if I go beyond the word limit?
No, please stay within the word limit for your piece. After you let your work rest, come back to it, cut out unnecessary extra words might
make your entry stronger and easier to read and enjoy.
- Do you have to create a login and password to submit on Filmfreeway?
Yes, it's a very secure site and convenient. All of the writers will be notified through Filmfreeway. You will also register to attend the festival and the writers panel through Filmmfreeway.
- Can I write an essay on just one book?
Yes, you can write on just Parable of the Sower or Parable of the Talents or both books.
- Should I attach images to go with my essay?
No. We will contact you if we need images to accompany your essay.
- Can I just email you my essay?
No. All submissions must go through Filmfreeway. Exceptions can be made only in the event Filmfreeway is having an issue with their website and a MCSFO or festival staff member has given permission via email.
- Can I submit multiple entries?
No. We will accept one essay per person.
- Can I submit a piece I wrote for another publication that’s posted online?
No. You can not submit a piece you wrote for another publication.
This FAQ page will be updated regularly with additional common questions that is not currently listed.
After submitting your essay for free, our Auto Responder will thank you for submitting. It is not a clock-watcher or calendar reader. If your submission is LATE, we humans will note that fact and your essay will be disqualified; but our non-prejudicial Auto Responder will simply say thank you. Parable of the Sower is due Aug 1st and Parable of the Talents or both books is due Sept 1st.
- Turning in your submission LATE means we would have received it AFTER 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on the deadline date.
- We will reject any submission that MS Word counts over 1200 and under 900 words THIS DOES NOT COUNT THE TITLE OF YOUR ESSAY OR YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION.
- All essays must be titled. No title means a lower technical score for not following the guidelines.
- Rewrites are not accepted—meaning, once you’ve sent your essay in, please don’t revise the same essay and send it in again. Again, our auto-responder only thanks you for submitting your essay. If you revised your essay during the time of the contest and would like to submit the new edited and updated version, you must go through the entry process again.
- The act of entering this contest constitutes an agreement between you and the Atlanta Sci-fi Film Festival and that you agree to the following. By submitting/ uploading a PDF copy of an essay, you acknowledge and agree that you are the copyright owner and 100% author of submitted essay.
- Previously published works, in whole or in part, will not be accepted.
- All essays are limited to writers currently residing in the United States.
*Additional Terms & Conditions are subject to change and updated as needed. Please check back frequently.
for site image credits
© Multicultural Sci-fi Organization. 2018. All Rights Reserved.